EarthResourceML Working Group
What is EarthResourceML?
EarthResourceML is an XML–based data transfer standard for the exchange of digital information for mineral occurrences, mines and mining activity. EarthResourceML describes the geological characteristics and setting of mineral occurrences, their contained commodities, and their mineral resource and reserve endowment. It is also able to describe mines and mining activities, and production of concentrates, refined product, and waste materials.
EarthResourceML makes use of the existing GeoSciML data standard for describing geological materials associated with mineral deposits. It is also underpinned by established OGC and ISO standards, including Web Feature Service (WFS – ISO 19142), Geography Markup Language (GML – ISO 19136), and SWE Common.
History of EarthResourceML
EarthResourceML was born from a model developed by the Australian Government Geoscience Information Committee (GGIC) from 2004 - 2008. The CGI took over governance of the Australian model in 2008, and after modifications by CGI Interoperability Working Group, EarthResourceML version 1.1 was published in 2009. After some further revision, mainly to accommodate the needs of the European INSPIRE Directive, EarthResourceML version 2.0 was published in 2013. Future development of EarthResourceML, and a simple-feature variant of EarthResourceML to support simple portrayal requirements (e.g., WMS), will be undertaken by the EarthResourceML Working Group.
Downloads and Other Resources
- www.earthresourceml.org — Documentation, example XML encodings, models
- XSD schemas for version 2.0
- XSD schemas for version 1.1
- Wiki for development of the EarthResourceML data standard
- resource.geosciml.org — The GeoSciML vocabulary repository contains useful vocabularies to support delivery of interoperable geological data for mineral occurrences and mines
- Publications and presentations — Conference abstracts, posters and presentations describing EarthResourceML and related projects from 2007 to 2013. (Please respect the copyright of the authors of these publications.)
EarthResourceML Working Group (2013–2014)
Chair: Jouni Vuollo (GTK)
Daniel Cassard (BRGM)
John Laxton (BGS)
Helge Reginiussen (SGU)
Michael Sexton (GA)
Greg Fernette (USGS)
Bruce Simons (CSIRO) - consultant